The Brazilian Mathematical Society (SBM – Sociedade Brasileira de Matemática) was founded in 1969, during the 7th Brazilian Mathematical Colloquium at Poços de Caldas. Its aims are to congregate mathematicians and Mathematics teachers, to promote the development and dissemination of Mathematics, in all its aspects, across the country and to foster international collaboration.
The SBM’s actions are achieved by various means, such as:
- Production and publication of books and periodicals, which go from popular science to current mathematical research subjects;
- Organization of academic events, in various levels and in all Brazil’s regions, related both to research and improvement of the Mathematics teaching;
- Promotion of international meetings, in collaboration with other mathematical organizations from Brazil and other countries;
Implementation of academic projects;
Support to the Mathematical Olympiads, in all levels;
- Coordination of the PROFMAT – Mestrado Profissional em Matemática em Rede Nacional, a national master’s degree program for secondary school teachers;
- Promotion of the SBM Prize to the best original research paper in Mathematics published recently by a young mathematician working in Brazil.
The SBM has signed bilateral reciprocity agreements with a number of mathematical societies. Click here for a list. Under these agreements, members of one of the partner societies are entitled to (usually 50%) discounts in the annual membership fee of the other society, while having the status and advantages of full membership.